The neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) of Arya hospital has specialist medical staff and equipment to care for premature and sick newborn babies.
Arya NICU has highly trained staff and advanced life support equipment designed to meet the unique needs of newborn babies.
Babies may need to spend time in a NICU if:
- they are premature (born before 37 weeks gestation)
- there were complications during delivery
- there are complications such as breathing problems, infections, birth defects or the baby needs surgery
- they have a low birth weight (less than 2.5 kg)
- they are a twin, triplet or from other multiple births
Babies are typically admitted within the first 24 hours after birth. The medical team will discuss with you how long your baby is expected to stay, which usually depends on their condition, and what developmental stage they need to reach before they can go home.